UDL for the WIN!

For Starters...What Exactly is UDL?

UDL stands for Universal Design for Learning and is defined by the Center for Applied Special Technology (CAST) as a "framework to improve and optimize teaching and learning for all the people based on scientific insights into how humans learn" (Robinson, D. E., 2017). The goal of UDL is to minimize barriers to improve and maximize learning for all diverse learners. UDL is founded on three guiding principles: Engagement, the "WHY" of learning, Action & Expression, the "HOW" of learning, and Representation, the "WHAT" of learning. The CAST website provides excellent resources that further explain the UDL framework

Are You Already Using Some of the Guiding Principles in Your Classroom?

While UDL may seem like a new concept to you, odds are you are most likely already incorporating some aspect of UDL into your classroom. I personally find that while I am already implementing some aspects of each of the three guiding principles, I seem to provide multiple means of Action and Expression. Below are some of the following ways that I implement Action and Expression, the "HOW" of learning in my classroom:
  • provide alternatives for physically responding or indicating selections
  • use physical manipulatives
  • solve problems using a variety of strategies
  • provide sentence starters
  • provide differentiated feedback 
  • provide models or examples of the process and product 
  • ask questions to guide self-monitoring and reflection
  • show representations of progress
CAST also provides an excellent tool to help guide you when planning lessons, Key Questions to Consider When Planning Lessons One aspect of the UDL guidelines that I would like to implement in my classroom falls under the principle of Engagement, I would like to vary the degrees of freedom for acceptable performance. While I feel that I do provide my students with choice, I think that I can begin to increase the amount of choice I provide and ask students to share their own choices for methods of performance. Providing my kindergartners with more options and giving them ownership of their learning will help to develop a greater level of engagement. 

Exploring UDL Further

Universal Design for Learning is an instructional framework that was developed to maximize learning for all learners. I would like to learn more about how to implement UDL into the classroom at all grade levels. I would like to learn more about if and how developmental stages in children can affect the implementation of UDL. I have found the following resources that could help me learn more:
  • UDL Now!: A Teacher's Guide to Applying Universal Design for Learning 3rd Edition by Katie Novak
  • Your UDL Lesson Planner: The Step-by-Step Guide for Teaching All Learners 1st Edition by Patricia Kelly Ralabate Ed.D.
  • What Really Works with Universal Design for Learning 1st Edition by Wendy Murawski (Editor) & Kathy Lynn Scott (Editor)
  • Universal Design for Learning in the Early Childhood Classroom: Teaching Children of All Languages, Cultures, and Abilities, Birth - 8 Years 2nd Edition by Pamela Brillante & Karen Nemeth
  • CAST website
Also, as I am currently working on my masters in Library Science and I definitely want to ensure the implementation of UDL in the library. "UDL and school libraries form a natural partnership" (Robinson, D.E., 2017). I want to ensure that I am providing all patrons that I serve with access to the library and its resources. One valuable source of information is our current school librarian, I will definitely pick her brain and see what works and the guidelines that she incorporates into the library. I also found the following resources: 
  • Creating Inclusive Libraries by Applying Universal Design: A Guide by Carli Spina
  • Liven up Your Library: Design Engaging and Inclusive Programs for Tweens and Teens by Julia Torres & Valerie Tagoe
  • Sturge, J. (2020, June 3). School Libraries and UDL in the time of learning from home -. -. Retrieved April 10, 2023, from https://knowledgequest.aasl.org/school-libraries-and-udl-in-the-time-of-learning-from-home/

The above resources are just a starting point for gathering more information on Universal Design for Learning as well as the sources that I cited below. Let's continue to work towards minimizing all barriers for all learners!


Sources:

Blue, E. V., & Pace, D. (2011). UD and UDL:Paving the way toward inclusion and independence in the school library. Knowledge Quest39(3), 48–55.

CAST (2018). Universal Design for Learning Guidelines version 2.2. Retrieved from http://udlguidelines.cast.org

Robinson, D. E. (2017). Universal design for learning and school libraries: A logical partnership. Knowledge Quest, 46(1), 57–61.




Comments

  1. Hi Virginia! I hope you are doing well. This is a great post about UDL. I am going to look for the UDL lesson planner by Ralabate-- it looks like a great resource! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Virginia! Thank you for sharing UDL resources. I will definitely check these out. The UDL planner seems like a great resource to have to ensure we're following UDL guidelines.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Virginia, I think many of us struggle to help students, especially the younger ones, take ownership over their own learning. This is definitely a guideline from UDL that I would like to incorporate more. As Carmina stated above, I'm really interested in the UDL planner and plan to check it out. Thanks for the suggestion.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

BOOM! BAM! POW! Comics & Cartoons in Education

Feed Readers: How Do You Organize Your Blogs?